Back to BAPTISM
President James A. Garfield, who lived and died a member of the Christian Church, and was for some years a preacher in the church, was once requested by a lady to formulate a statement which would give her a more definite idea of our position in matters of faith. The following is a copy of Mr. Garfield's statement:
- We call ourselves Christians or Disciples.
- We believe in God the Father.
- We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and our Saviour. We regard the divinity of Christ as the fundamental truth of the Christian system.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, both as to His agency in conversion and as a dweller in the heart of the Christian.
- We accept the Old and New Testaments as the inspired Word of God.
- We believe in the future punishment of the wicked and the future reward of the righteous.
- We believe that Deity is a prayer-hearing and a prayer-answering God.
- We observe the institution of the Lord's Supper on every Lord's Day. To this Table we neither invite nor debar. We say it is the Lord's Table for all the Lord's children.
- We plead for the union of God's people.
- The Bible is our only discipline.
- We maintain that all ordinances should be observed as they were in the days of the apostles.
More Questions? Email or Call Us!
Here to Serve
"So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, 'If you continue in My Word, then you are truly disciples of Mine, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.'"
Back to the Beginning of 'Facts Concerning the New Testament Church'